What to expect?
No more travelling long distances for workshops, your child can now receive exclusive online content, knowledge and resources to help them overcome their fear of writing in small, facilitated groups to ensure the best outcome!
Writing Workshops are designed to be highly engaging and to teach students to find ways to express their ideas and most importantly to find joy in the process. Being a capable, confident writer is a necessary skill for all students to be successful in school and in life.
These workshops are one-of-a-kind in that students will not only receive mentorship from an acclaimed writer but also will receive expertise from a teacher who has been in the education system for over a decade.
ONLINE WORKSHOPS AVAILABILITY
START DATE: MONDAY 6 FEBRUARY 2023
10 weeks per term **Students register for the term**
2 HR workshops per week (2HR block)
4:30 to 6:30 pm Monday to Thursday. Each group will be allocated a two hour block during the week.
GROUP 1: ONLY 15 students (8 to 9 years old) (Monday)
GROUP 2: ONLY 15 students (9-11 years old) (Tuesday)
GROUP 3: ONLY 15 students (12-14 years old low ability)
GROUP 4: ONLY 15 students (12-14 years old mid-high ability) (Thursday)
Visit our registrations page to receive more information and price list.
Term 1 Outline
Focus: Creative and Persuasive Writing
As a teacher for over a decade, it’s always the creative and persuasive units that students need the most attention. With all the responsibilities of a teacher now, it is very hard to teach important writing skills in detail which is why many students not only dislike writing/reading but also find it challenging to produce an independent piece of work. Let’s give them a head start to ensure they don’t fall behind in their learning.
Here’s an outline of what is to be expected in the online writing workshops for all groups at Green Hat Academy. The focus will be on Creative and Persuasive Writing for the 10 weeks of Term 1. (Note: Creative and Persuasive writing units are central to NAPLAN and most forms of testing in schools.)
For Creative Writing, students will:
• gain a deeper understanding of the five key elements of great storytelling: character, setting, conflict, plot and theme.
• extend their knowledge of a narrative structure i.e., beginning, middle and end
• challenge themselves to produce longer pieces of work under a modelled, guided and independent teaching structure to ensure all students are supported.
• critically think about their own voice and what that looks like in creative writing.
• use and experiment with a wide range of literary devices and features.
• investigate good storytelling in the forms of short stories.
• be exposed to great authors to help extend their reading interests.
For Persuasive Writing, students will:
• learn how to draw on personal knowledge and experience to write detailed pieces about a topic or subject using their point of view.
• gain a deeper understanding of the main structure and components of a persuasive text.
• how to extend main arguments with a comprehensive vocabulary.
• analyse a range of persuasive texts such as newspaper articles, essays, expositions, debates, advertisements and discussions.
• use and experiment with a wide range of literary devices, emotive language and modality.
• selecting appropriate grammar to enhance student writing.
• Each group will have modified activities based on their abilities with approximately 5 weeks each for both the Creative and Persuasive units.
• Students will not receive homework, however any work that isn’t completed can be finished in their own time.
• At the end of the term, students will sit through a mini exam to analyse their progress with each parent receiving a report.
• Remember this is an introductory unit and writing takes years to perfect. Most likely the Creative and Persuasive Units will also be for Term 2 with greater expectations and extension of activities.
Dates for Term 1 4:30-6:30 PM:
Group 1: 8-9 years old (6 February -- 10 April 2023)
Group 2: 9-11 years old (7 February – 11 April 2023)
Group 3: 12-14 years old (8 February – 12 April 2023)
Group 4: 12-14 years old mid-high (9 February – 13 April 2023 )
If you have any questions or queries, please email email@example.com